SXL 500 5-Axis Lens Grinding Machine: 10-500 mm Optics
SXL 500 Overview
The SXL 500 is a 5-Axis CNC bridge style lens grinding machine. The unique axes configuration provides an accurate and versatile platform for grinding brittle materials such as glass, ceramics and hardened steels up to 500 mm in diameter. This machine is ideal for generating 1/2 to 1 meter class optics, large spheres and aspheres, parabolic mirrors, and freeform surfaces.
Multiple advanced features on the SXL 500 help optical manufacturers achieve optimal results in terms of grinding efficiency, repeatability and surface quality after grinding:
- Better grinding: Stiff, heavy meehanite machine base to provide vibration dampening and spindle construction with high quality ceramic bearings
- Bridge-style configuration: Conducive to loading and unloading large parts with crane
- Extensive part diameter range: 10-500mm workpiece size, 550mm planos, 1200mm of X-travel to accommodate contouring of large workpieces
- Full 5-axis machining standard: Capable of CAM driven manufacturing of off-axis, non-rotationally symmetric parts as well as coring operations
- Faster set ups: Easy-to-use GUI for precision optics with step-by-step process driven software (G Series)
- High accuracy tool and work spindles: HSK 63 quick-change holders for less chatter
- Process consistency: Liquid cooled spindles
- Better process control: Direct drive spindles
- More cutting power: Integral high speed spindle motor
- Tooling flexibility: Accommodates a wide variety of tools, including ball tools
- Customizable: Platform can be tailored to your specific applications
Maximize throughput of precision optics, including spheres, aspheres, cylinders, freeforms, and more, by implementing the capability of the SXL 500 into your manufacturing operations.
SXL 500 Technical Specifications
Optical Grinding Machine Specs* eSX 300 eSX 400 SXL 500 Workpiece Optimal Dia. Range 5-300 mm (.2-11.8") 5-400 mm (.2-15.7") 10-500 mm (.4-19.6") Max. Plano Diameter** 350 mm (13.8") 450 mm (17.7") 550 mm (21.7") Max. Weight 129 kg (285 lbs.) 154 kg (340 lbs.) 154 kg (340 lbs.) Work Spindle Spindle Speed 0-250 RPM 0-200 RPM 0-200 RPM Hydro Expansion Chuck Standard Standard Standard C-Axis Position and Hold Standard Standard Standard Tool Spindle Maximum Tool Diameter 250 mm (9.8") 250 mm (9.8") 300 mm (11.8") Maximum Tool Weight 6 kg (13.2 lbs.) 6 kg (13.2 lbs.) 6 kg (13.2 lbs.) Tool Spindle Speed 1,000-18,000 RPM 1,000-18,000 RPM 1,000-12,000 RPM Spindle Power (Peak) 18kW (24.1hp) 18kW (24.1hp) 18kW (24.1hp) Tool Holder Style HSK63F HSK63F HSK63F Coolant Thru Spindle Optional Optional Optional Twin Spindle Optional N/A N/A Travels X-Axis Travel 500 mm (19.6") 500 mm (19.6") 1,200 mm (47.2") Y-Axis Travel 400 mm (15.7") 400 mm (15.7") 700 mm (27.6") Z-Axis Travel 500 mm (19.6") 500 mm (19.6") 500 mm (19.6") B-Axis Travel -90° to 90° -90° to 90° -90° to 90° C-Axis Travel 0° to 360° 0° to 360° 0° to 360° Communication Interface Ethernet Standard Standard Standard USB Standard Standard Standard Automatic Tool Changer Optional Optional Optional Machine Dimensions Width 2,110 mm (83") 2,110 mm (83") 2,570 mm (101") Depth 2,515 mm (99") 2,515 mm (99") 3,700 mm (146") Height 2,700 mm (106") 2,700 mm (106") 3,020 mm (119") Weight 3,400 kg (7,500 lbs) 3,400 kg (7,500 lbs) 5,750 kg (12,650 lbs) Workpiece Probing Standard Standard Standard Tool Probing Standard Standard Standard Integrated Spherometer Optional Optional Optional Asphere Fabrication Optional Optional Optional Freeform Fabrication Optional Optional Optional
* Specifications subject to change. Contact OptiPro for the latest specifications.
** Machine is capable of manufacturing maximum plano size in small volume. For medium and large production quantities of max plano size, consider OptiPro’s larger platform.
- 5 controllable axes: X, Y, Z, B & C with up to 5 axes of simultaneous movement
- Fagor 8070 CNC machine control with a high resolution LCD monitor and enhanced contouring package
- Menu driven data entry screens minimizes set-up time
- Open architecture of the machine control allows the operator to program additional process steps and/or machining operations and to specify the sequence in the cycle
- Graphical tool path verification increases safety by allowing operator to visualize the grinding operation step-by-step before actually running the part
- Intuitive workpiece center thickness process management
- Quick tool change and precision tool registration
- Automatic curve correction using spherometer radius measurement input
- Extensive messaging to assist in machine & process troubleshooting
- Automatic tool or work piece probing